Why Choose Private Kindergarten
Kindergarten is the de-facto start to most children’s academic career. And while public school is open to all, there are some important reasons why it is worth considering a private Kindergarten program:
- Small Class Size = Individualized Instruction: With many local public school Kindergarten class sizes averaging 20-25, a small class with a maximum of 10 children offers much greater individualized instruction. In a private program, your child’s teacher also has more time to truly get to know your child’s strengths and individual goals.
- Strong Parent-Teacher Communication: During this important first year, we hear from parents that they value the additional communication opportunities and access to the teachers at a private school, including seeing the educator daily at pick-up, weekly newsletters and photos, and access to a password-protected, online parent portal.
- A Well-Rounded Curriculum: Our private Kindergarten class offers strong early academics (literacy, mathematics, social studies & science) with an introduction to some additional subjects like foreign languages, animal science, art, and yoga.
- Experiential Learning: Private school Kindergarten offers students more hands-on, interdisciplinary learning, both inside and outside the classroom
- Time and Attention for Social-Emotional Learning: Research is proving that a person’s social emotional skills (self-regulation, empathy, flexibility, executive function, collaboration, etc.) serve as true indicators of their future success. Our private Kindergarten makes time for learning and practicing all of these valuable life skills. Monthly community service activities and semi-annual kindness campaigns also keep our teachers and students thinking about our place in the larger world.
- Classroom Learning & Out of Classroom Learning: In these unprecedented times the public school is forced to balance a combination of in person and remote learning that may not be able to address a child’s individual needs. We are offering a five day in-classroom Kindergarten program. And, in the event of another emergency closure, our ‘out of classroom learning’ is a broad combination of remote and virtual learning experiences supported by the teacher in collaboration with families. No matter whether in person or, if needed, moving to a virtual model, we are fully committed to providing each student with a full school year of Kindergarten curriculum.
We’d love to give you a virtual tour of our private Kindergarten program at Tobin, so you can see how it might be a great option for your child and family. Contact Jaclyn Bennett for more information.